Prescribed Owners Corporations Victoria
Prescribed owners corporations (Regulation 5) are defined as an owners corporation that;
- levies annual fees in excess of $200 000 in a financial year*; OR
- consists of more than 100 lots**
* This fee total includes fees collected from separate owners corporations for storage lots, car parking lots and accessory lots and for general administration and maintenance and contributions to maintenance plans.
**Lots including storage lots, car parking lots, and accessory or ancillary lots are included
Annual budgets for owners corporations do change year on year and an owners corporation may dip in and out of the prescribed owners corporations category.
Duties of prescribed owners corporations
There are extra legal requirements for prescribed owners corporations, in addition to those that apply to all owners corporations.
Prescribed owners corporations must also:
- prepare and maintain a 10-year maintenance plan for major capital items that are its responsibility (Section 36)
- establish a maintenance fund to implement the maintenance plan (Section 40)
- report on the implementation of the maintenance plan at every general meeting (Section 39)
- prepare a financial statement in accordance with prescribed standards. (The standards are not currently prescribed.) (Section 34)
- have financial statements audited at the end of every financial year (Section 35)
- obtain a valuation of all buildings it is required to insure every five years for insurance purposes. Once received, the valuer’s report must be tabled at the next general meeting. (Section 65)
You might be interested in:
- Calling a Strata General Meeting?
- Owners Corporation Insurance Requirements in Victoria
- Landmark new laws for renters in Victoria
- Solar power for strata apartments
- Weighing up the pros cons of Apartment Living
- Strata Embedded Electricity Network – the what, the how and the future
- Cladding removal loans offered to thousands of apartment owners
- Who lives in an apartment in VIC? | VIC Strata Data
- The Docklands own Watergate scandal rages on
- Combustible cladding, a highly flammable issue